How can WE ALL get involved to save our planet from destruction? It's easier than you think! Take a look at the Top 10 things to RECYCLE in your HOME. I for one have taken the challenge and encourage you all to TAKE THE CHALLENGE! LIRO has pledged to reduce plastic waste. Register at http://americarecyclesday.org/pledge/
1. Use re-usable bags at the grocery store.
2. Take your milk, juice and shampoo/conditioner containers to be recycled at Salina Drive-thru Recycling Center, 125 W. North St., Salina, KS 67401.
3. Recycle your mobile phones to several drop-off locations around Salina.
4. Take unwanted cards and gently used craft items for re-use at the Salina Art Center.
5. Take unwanted clothes to local distribution centers around the Salina Area for re-sale or donate to the local Ashby House.
6. Unwanted furniture can be re-used and sold at many different locations around town or you can donate to our local Ashby House or DVACK.
7. Recycle aluminum at the local Animal Shelter bin located at the Central Mall parking lot. All proceeds from recycling will be given to our local Animal Shelter.
8. Take unwanted mail to Salina Drive-thru Recycling Center, 125 W. North St., Salina, KS 67401.
9. Pick up trash in your neighborhood and recycle those items.
10. Take unwanted metal or glass containers to Salina Drive-thru Recycling Center, 125 W. North St., Salina, KS 67401.
When you find yourself in dire need of "me" time and only have 15 -30 minutes to spare, what do you do? For me, it's so hard to even find 15 minutes, let alone an hour! I have learned these simple techniques that DO WORK!
Most people don't realize that taking 15-20 minutes to walk and get fresh air, or getting a nice hot or cold drink is taking time to breathe. Doing this refreshes the brain and allows for negativity to exhale as you inhale the positive. Your thoughts are powerful and when you find yourself becoming increasingly less focused, its time for a break! Other breathing exercises can also be combined with imagery and/or meditation and you do not have to be a trained professional to know what works for YOU! Listen to your body and what you naturally turn to for breathing!
Another outlet or "me" time technique is taking time for a mini-meditation; simply living in the now with mindful meditation! Talk with a friend, enjoy your current situation, compliment others, talk with a child...they certainly know how to brighten anyone's day as they are constantly living in the moment! By taking a mini-meditation, you are taking time for yourself and enjoying the moment!
Aromatherapy is a HUGE go to! Applying relaxing lotion to your hands or feet not only help with clearing the mind, they provide a sensory reset to your brain!
Laughter is never looked upon as anything other than being silly, but ultimately, laughter is mood enlightening and can help with conflict resolutions too. Learning to not take things so seriously all the time is a GOOD thing! Laughter is a social connection between others and your environment! Learn to laugh! Trust me, it helps!
Exercise is what we all love to do, but finding the time is often difficult! My suggestion to you is to take time for YOU! YOU are important and "me" time is crucial for success both personally and professionally!
World Kindness Day is November 13th! There are so many simple ways to be kind! Kindness is free, all you have to do is give it away!
LIRO will be stepping out on World Kindness Day to spread KINDNESS to all! A simple smile or kind gesture or even a thank you is looked upon as the ut-most, random act of kindness for any one person in this World! When you think to yourself "What is it that I can do to help?" How about you take a moment to SMILE or say HELLO! After all, if one person does this each day, we might just be the change this World needs!
Of all seasons, Fall is my favorite....simply because of the FOOD! There is such a variety of options and let's face it, a cold day will make anyone want to wrap up with a good book and a healthy dose of comfort food!
Cozy up with this to die for SIMPLE Cheezy Broccoli Soup made from our very own Lady In Red kitchen!
Feeds 8-10 bowls
Prep time 15 min, Cook time 35 min
2 bags frozen broccoli
1 8 oz cream cheese
1 bag bacon cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 pound cooked bacon
1/4 cup butter
32 ounces chicken broth
1 cup water
2 tbs flour
Salt & pepper
1 cup milk
In a frying pan, fry the bacon and onion together. Then drain the grease, add the butter and create a rue with the flour. In a bigger pot add the frozen veggies, water, milk and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and let boil for 10 min, then turn down to a simmer. Add the diced up cream cheese, mix well until blended. Add the bacon cheddar cheese bag and mix well. Then add the sour cream and let simmer on low for 5 min. Lastly add the bacon and onion mixture.